My Grandpa

My sister posted this last week. I never knew it existed. I would have never known my grandfather to be so poignant. To me he was Shorty. My grandpa, who hugged me every time he left "big enough to last until I get back." There are no hugs big enough now, Shorty, but I'm saving a big one for when we meet again.  




Tracy wrote:
"I was going through some old papers tonight and came across a copy of a letter my grandfather wrote to my great-grandmother on this date in 1944 while serving in the US Navy during WWII.  I thought I would share his words some 73 years later.  Very thought provoking and I think his final words in the last sentence still ring true today as they did so very long ago.  Bear with me as this is long, but I feel led to share it tonight.
***Warning: these are his exact words transcribed from his letter to his mother....the wording, language, and syntax are his and his alone, and were common at the time. While bridges have been mended between the US and Japan now, at the time they were fighting each other and these were his emotions***"


Nov. 5, 1944
Dearest Mom,

     Some few days ago off the island of Leyte, (Phillipines) we were attacked by a portion of the Jap fleet.  From the deck I could see the flashes of their guns. All around us i could see where the shells were hitting.  It was morning.  We manned our planes and took off. Yes, I was scared. I don't believe any of us were sure of coming back. Our own small group was zigzagging about and firing back at the Jap ships. After we were airborne we could see the Japs had us outnumbered, But we still had the upper hand. We had our aircraft. After a raging sea & air battle. They were beginning to look more of our size. The shellfire of the enemy was very intense but their aim was very bad. They didn't get a hit on us.

     When we went in on our attack, Lt. Turner (my pilot) was talking to us. Cool as an iceberg. Me, I was scared as hell. W caught them flatfooted. We got what we went after. The anti aircraft fire that came up behind us was beautiful all different colors. It was strange that I should think of that then. The AA fire was very far off but intense.  and believe me Mom, it wasn't half as bad as I had imagined. Shortly afterward the little yellow bastards turned tail and ran.  we cam back to our ship safe & sound. Through out the day our squadron & other planes and surface units pressed home the attack. You can bet your boots they regret the day they ever saw our outfit.

     After we came back we under went an air attack. In this the Japs took a bathing. There were some near misses causing no damage. In face one was shot down so near the ship pieces of Jap meat were found on the deck.  Even he couldn't damage us. It looked like we were charmed or something. The almighty God was watching over us that day I know.

     The coolness and brilliant leadership of our officers, the quick cool deliberate action of our gunners, even too the lowest seaman was a thing of wonder.

     A well trained football team never clicked so well.  all hands were extremely relieved when at last after standing by their stations most of the day we could at last relax and know it was a job "well done" our nerves were ragged but everyone was laughing and talking what the other guy allegedly done in his skivvies.  It was more like a nightmare. When you see or hear the words Pacific fleet. Take off your hat to the greatest fighting force on earth.  Those few hectic hours (or days, it seemed to have been months), have done so much to wipe out Jap sea power.  Which means a weakening land power, and bring us all home eventually.

     Well mom, I must close now it is late and everyone is yelling to get the lights out.  If you could have seen this you would think as I think, that the Age of Miracles is not yet passed.
Love and Kisses,

Bob
Robert Tully Davis aom 3/c

Comments

Popular Posts