Proverbs 31:14,15

"14 She is like the merchants ships, she bringeth her food from afar. 15 She riseth also while it is yet night, and giveth food to her household, and a portion to her maidens."

"She bringeth her food from afar"
In today's climate of eco-friendly solutions, I feel drawn to say that many foods can be grown very close by! In your own kitchen-garden! Since the time of year for planning a garden is well on its way, lets begin there.

What veggies does your family prefer? My family eats almost all veggies. This year we are doing tomatoes, cucumbers, green peppers, squash, zucchini, sweet potatoes, potatoes, carrots, green beans, corn and peas.

What is the light situation in your garden spot? Plant accordingly. Make sure tall plants like tomatoes and corn don't block all the sun. Don't plant the carrots next to the squash, which will surely overtake them!

Make sure peas and beans, cucumbers and squash have plenty of room! Peas and beans need to have somewhere to climb!

It's nearly time to start some seeds indoors. This year, I am using recycled tin cans and water/soft drink bottles for seed pots. I also use the plastic bottles for "collars" around my young plants to discourage slugs and snails. It works well, and you can water the roots directly by pouring the water into the collar!

This year I plan on planting potatoes in old tires. As the potatoes grow, you add to the stack. The longer roots encourage more potatoes, and take up less space! Sweet potatoes will be given plenty of room for climbing and crawling(their flowers are gorgeous)!

Wow! Just writing this post is making me want to go outside and dig!

She riseth also while it is yet night, and giveth food to her household, and a portion to her maidens."
As far as groceries, I feel that every home should have a good 30 days food supply for each member of your home. Stock up! You can be frugal while doing this. Take your time and plan carefully. When I began my stock, I started purchasing 6 extra cans or boxes of food per trip to the grocery store. I now have a very good supply which I rotate and use constantly.

When my daughter's pay was late getting here due to weather, I walked to the pantry and pulled 6 meals for her without affecting my own meals. My next goal is to get SERIOUS about menu planning and stock the freezer! You can read here about ways to save money shopping WITHOUT using coupons. And for those interested in the coupon frenzy, check this one out!

Do you prepare breakfast for your family? I recently began getting up earlier. I now have time for me, time to fix breakfast, and the kids get extra time in the morning which translates to happier days! I fix many different breakfasts ranging from blueberry pancakes to yogurt parfaits with fruit and granola.

I have been doing an after school snack every day, but next week will begin the health push and snacks will switch to fruit, yogurt, cheese, peanut butter, veggies, cream cheese, and so on to make sure that the starving little ones who arrive in the afternoon are fed! DD has lunch at 10:00am and gets home at 3:45pm....

On Mondays and Wednesdays I serve supper at 4:30 because of activities. Then everyone has a quick snack when we arrive back home.

This February is our month to revamp our eating habits. We plan to get serious about our health and the BIG start date is February 6th! I will be posting the play by play!

We do have several celebrations coming up such as the Superbowl, Daytona Race, and the mid-season return of the Walking Dead, which will be a zombie party at my sister's house! And she's making ZOMBIE CUPCAKES!




Comments

Popular Posts