Word of the Year

Happy New Year! I hope this new year, 2018, finds you and your family happy and healthy!




Although I don't like jumping on the bandwagon, I do like to make resolutions. I have a few for this shining new year of 2018. I wasn't going to jump on the "Word for the Year" train, but my number 1 resolution is to become more connected to my family and friends. So it only seems right that my word for 2018 will be "CONNECT." By connect, I mean to communicate, travel to and with, and just generally, well, connect.




2017 has been a difficult year for our family. Death has taken a real toll on us as have cancer and other illnesses. We do have a whole new crop of young'uns to enjoy and what better way than to make an effort to connect more often with them and their parents, our children.

Then there are all those friends who live from here to the other side of the moon. I hope to meet up with some of them as well as see my local friends more often. Lunch, girls night, picnics, shopping days, spa days, paint night, and I'm even thinking about planning a girls weekend for a few of us.




I get the feeling that even though we are all "connected" 24/7, we have a gigantic, growing disconnect around us. We sit in a family gathering and every face is looking down at a phone or tablet. We no longer take the time to enjoy the world around us. We drive our cars, plan our vacations and go, go, go...but we don't CONNECT to anything or anyone.

When is the last time you actually made food and delivered it in person when your neighbor's mother passed away? Go to the actual funeral? How about a neighborhood block party? Anyone remember those? Kids playing at each other's houses, as a gang. First, this house, then down the street to that house after lunch?



When was the last time you made cookies with your granddaughter or taught your daughter (or yourself) how to sew? I'm jumping in with both feet. Join me in connecting in 2018. Connect with me in 2018!


Comments

Popular Posts